James Berry, son of Joshua Berry And Nancy Ellison Berry
Generation 1. Robert and Mary Williamson Berry Princess Anne, County Virginia.
Generation 2. Robert and Elizabeth Cate Berry Orange County, North Carolina.
Generation 3. Joshua and Nancy Ellison Berry Orange County, North Carolina.
James Berry was born in 1800 in Orange County, North Carolina.
James Berry and Mary Parker were married in North Carolina about 1829. Their first three daughters were born in North Carolina. The oldest daughter, Nancy, was born in 1830. The youngest daughter, Delila, was born in North Carolina in 1836 and was 14 years old in the 1850 Smith County, Tennessee census. The oldest child born in Tennessee was, Martha, who was 11 years old in 1850.
This means James and Mary were in North Carolina in 1836 and in Tennessee in 1839.
I have no absolute proof that the James Berry on this page is related to us but all the facts indicate he was..
Robert Berry’s Deed to Joshua Berry with James Berry as a witness. Dated February 24 1811 (Orange County Deed Book 14 Page 57)
This property lies west of Lick Creek and is about half of Robert Berry’s Original 1757 Granville Land Grant.
Facts supporting my theory that James is the son of Joshua and Nancy Ellison Berry:
1. Joshua an Nancy Berry had a son named James. 2. James Berry was a witness on the deed from his grandfather, Robert Berry, to his Father, Joshua Berry, on February 24 1811. 3. James Berry in the 1850 Smith County, Tennessee Census, was the right age. 4. James and Mary Parker Berry named two of their daughters, Nancy and Delila. 5. Our James Berry had a mother and a sister named Nancy and another sister named Delila. 6. Our James Berry did not remain in Orange County, North Carolina. 7. James and Mary Parker Berry were both born in North Carolina Source: 1850 Smith County, Tennessee, census.
I think James Berry living in Smith County, Tennessee, is related to us. The circumstantial evidence is very strong but we need archival records from any descendant and Y-DNA evidence from a male descendant.
Please contact us using the contact us dropdown button at the top of this page if you are a descendant of James & Mary Parker Berry.
- Nancy Berry Born 1830 in Orange Co. NC
- Mary Berry Born 1833 in Orange Co. NC
- Delila Berry Born 1836 Orange Co. NC
- James Berry Born 1840 in Tennessee
- Clay Berry Born 1844 in Tennessee
- Martha Berry Born 1839 in Tennessee
- Nancy Berry married Thomas Allen on November 28 1850
- Delila Berry married Marcus Allen on February 6 1851
- Martha V. Berry married Burton Marks on April 11 1860
Edward Berry who was born in Virginia was a school teacher living with the James Berry Family in the 1850 Smith County Census. Could it be possible that he descends from Richard Berry who was our patriarch, Robert Berry’s brother?
Marriage Information From Smith County Marriages 1851-1859 and Smith County Marriages 1860-1863
1860 United States Census District 19, Smith County, Tennessee. Post Office Alexandria . Household Members: Thomas Allen M age 27 Nancy L. Allen F age 28 (Nancy Louisa Berry) Jas M. Allen M age 8 Sarah Allen F age 6 Mose F. Allen M age 1
U. S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
Thomas Allen enlisted in the Confederate Army 8th Regiment Tennessee Calvary (Smith’s) Company K Rank in:private. Rank out: Private Film Number M231 roll 1
Thomas Allen must have died in the Civil War
Tennessee State Marriages. 1780-2002
Name: Nancy L. Allen Gender: Female Marriage Date: October 25th 1869. Marriage Place: Smith, Tennessee, USA Spouse:Thomas J. Stroud
Tennessee, Death and Burials Index 1874-1955 Nancy Louisa Berry Stroud born about 1832, Died June 8th 1919 at the age of 87 Death Place: Brush Creek, Smith County. Burial Place: Berry Cemetery Gender: Female Race: White Marital Status: Widowed Occupation: Housework Father’s name : James Berry Mother’s name: Mary Parker FHL Film Number: 1299708
1870 United States Census District 12,Wilson County Tennessee
Household Members: Burton Marks M age 40 Martha V Marks F age 30 (Martha V. Berry ) Willie Marks M age 8 Era Marks F age 5 Cora Marks F age 1
1880 United States Census District 12,Wilson County Tennessee
Household Members: Burton Marks M age 50 (Widowed) Willie Marks M age 18 Era Marks F age 15 Cora Marks F age 11 Marshal Marks M age 7 months born October 12 1879
Martha V. Berry Marks must have died from childbirth complications when or shortly after Marshal Marks was born.
Burton Marks married Mary (Last Name unknown) in 1883
1900 United States Census District 12,Wilson County Tennessee
Household Members: Burton Marks M age 70 Mary Marks F age 61 Marshal Marks M age 20
At this time nothing else is known about the other children who were listed in the 1850 Smith County Census.
James and Mary Parker Berry were born in Orange County, NC, and died in Smith County, Tennessee.
Some Central Tennessee Counties where some of our Berry Ancestors homesteaded and live today. Nashville is in Davidson County.
- “ James Berry was listed on his fathers (Joshua Berry census) in 1800 & 1810 and may have been in Joshua Berry’s 1820 census.
- James Berry listed in the Smith County Tennessee Census in 1840
- James Berry listed in the 1850 Smith County Tennessee Census page 1 .
- James Berry listed in the 1850 Smith County Tennessee Census page 2.
- James Berry has not been located in any 1860 census.