Ralph Cates is the son of James Thomas Cates and Stella Lavina George. He was born in Hugh Springs Cass County Texas on November 14 1898. Cass County is the second County on the State line as you enter Texas in the north east corner of Texas and joining Oklahoma. Stella and her Family left Cass County at least 7 years before the great Dust Bowl disaster began in 1932. They were living in Mareno, Riverside California in 1930.
Ralph Radford Cates married Esta Era Collins on the 7th of October 1920 in Marshall, Harrison Texas. Esta was the daughter of Leonard D. and Thursey Kissinger Collins. She was born in West Plains, Howell Missouri, on June 12th 1904.and died on March 17th 1990 on Clovis, Fresno, California.
- Lillie Mae Cates Holland (1921 – 1986)
- Jesse Raymond Cates (1925 – 1991)
- Josephine Cates Walters (1929 – 2013)
- Juanita Elaine Cates (1931 – 1987)
- Charlie Cates ( 1938 – 1998)
- Alice Amanda Cates Wright(1896-1956)
- Lillie Mae Cates Horvat(1902 – 1987)
- Thomas Jeferson Cates(1906 – 1988)