Robert Berry, son of Joshua Berry and Nancy Ellison Berry
- Generation Robert and Mary Williamson Berry: Princess Anne County, Virginia.
- Generation Robert and Elizabeth Cate Berry: Orange County, North Carolina.
- Generation Joshua and Nancy Ellison Berry: Orange County, North Carolina.
ROBERT BERRY was born in 1800 in Orange County North Carolina
Robert Berry and Sally Cates were married in Person County North Carolina circa 1814. There is a great deal that we did not know about this family. We know that they did live in Orange County for their entire lives or at least until 1850. Sally Berry age 52 (born 1798) listed as head of household in 1850 with her two daughters Rachel Berry age 11 (born 1839) and Sarah Berry age 14 (born 1836).
One of our early mistakes was cleared up when Robert Berry’s spinster sister, Nancy Berry died intestate and Eli D. Berry, Nancy Berry’s Administrator, named Robert and Sally Cates two daughters, Rachel (Berry) Neal, and Sarah (Berry) Jones as two of the heirs in Nancy Berry’s estate settlement.
- Sarah Berry Born 1836 in Orange Co. NC
- Rachael Berry Born 1839 in Orange Co. NC
Grantee Robert Berry Grantor State of NC May 06, 1843 Grant Book 30 page 226. 93 and 1/2 Acres entered 21 May 1842 Issued 6 May 1843. Entry #261 “On waters of North Little River. Adjoining the lands of Timothy Dunagan, Jacob Waggoner, John Parker, and others.” Book 148 page 380.
Deed of Trust From Robert Berry to James Ray made on December 6th 1839 (Bk.28 Page 479.Orange County NC) This piece of property is 56 acres.
I n some early research there was some confusion between the son of Joshua and Nancy Ellison Berry’s Son, Robert Berry, who married Sally Cates and William and Hannah Cate Berry’s son, William Clarence Berry, who married Sally Bowles. The confusion came about when we thought Sally Cates Berry who listed in the 1850 census was William Clarence Berry’s wife.
William and Hannah Cate Berry also had a son named, Robert C. Berry, who should also not be confused with Joshua and Nancy Berry’s son, Robert Berry.
Robert Berry was born in Orange County NC and may possibly be buried in the Robert Berry Fiddleton cemetery
September 20, 2008, Updated 10/23/2015
- “ Robert Berry died before 1850 because his wife listed as head of household in 1850.
- Robert Berry listed in the Orange County NC Census in 1820
- Robert Berry listed in the Orange County NC Census in 1830
- Robert Berry listed in the Orange County NC Census in 1840
- Sally (Cates) Berry listed Head of household in the Orange County 1850 Census