You Can compare your own Y DNA results with our William Berry Markers and if you match most of our markers out of 37 you are likely to be in our family. If you have a first marker of 13 instead of 14 we are extremely anxious for you to contact us.Please contact us using the Contact us button above.
WILLIAM BERRY DESCENDANTS
We must prove which (if any) of William Berry’s Descendants is the Father of Robert T Berry As you can see below the only difference between William Berry’s 67 marker Y DNA and the Unknown Berry Line’s Y DNA is the very first marker. William’s is a 14 and the Unknown Berry’s is a 13
1-25 marker William Berry Line 14-24-15-10-11-14-12-12-12-13-13-29-17-9-9-11-11-25-15-19-29-14-15-17-18-
1-25 marker Unknown Berry line 13-24-15-10-11-14-12-12-12-13-13-29-17-9-9-11-11-25-15-19-29-14-15-17-18-
26-37 marker William Berry Line 10-10-19-23-15-15-18-20-37-37-12-10-
26-37 marker Unknown Berry Line 10-10-19-23-15-15-18-20-37-37-12-10-
38-67 marker William Berry Line 11-9-15-16-8-10-10-8-10-10-12 -23-23-16-10-12-12-15-8-12-22-20-14-12-11-13-11-11-14-12
38-67 marker Unknown Berry Line 11-9-15-16-8-10-10-8-10-10-12 -23-23-16-10-12-12-15-8-12-22-20-14-12-11-13-11-11-14-12
Robert T Berry was born in Alabama(Coosa) Hatchet Creek in 1849 and has a living descendant who matches the William Berry YDNA by 66 markers out of 67. This is a very close match but we have not been able to tie Robert T Berry to any known descendant of Our William Berry or any other descendant of Robert Berry who lived all of his adult life in Orange County North Carolina from 1751 until he died in 1814.
In the 1850 census of Robert Roberson there is a 20 year old Robert Berry living with a next Farm from the Blankenship family. We believe this Robert Berry is the Father of the Robert Roberson who is three months old. We believe Robert Robertson is really Robert T Berry. Robert T Berry said his mother was Susan Roberson who was living next door to Robert Berry in Ruben Blankenship’s’ listing. Robert Berry was 20 and was born in South Carolina about 1830 and Susan Roberson was 22. and born in Alabama about 1828.
Below is a list of all or Robert Berry’s male children, grand children, and great grandchildren who were alive and where they were living in 1830 when our mystery Robert Berry was born and who was living with the Blankenship couple in the 1850 census.
- Gen Name Born Born Age in 1830 Location in 1830
- 1.Robert Berry 1729 Died 1814 Orange County NC.
- 2.Robert Berry Jr. 1760 70 Fayette County Alabama.
- 3. George Berry 1787 43 Fayette Co. Ala married.
- 4. John Berry 1815 15 Fayette Co. Ala
- 4. Henry James Berry 1823 7 Fayette Co. Ala
- 4. George W. Berry 1830 1 Fayette Co. Ala
- 4. James Berry 1835 not born
- 3. John Berry 1790 40 Fayette County Alabama.
- 3.Henry G. Berry 1792 38 Fayette Co. Ala married
- 3.David Middleton Berry 1805 25 Fayette Co. Ala married
- 3.Thompson P. Berry 1896 24 Fayette Co. Ala married
- 2.John Berry 1762 Died 1804 Jackson County GA
- 3.Joshua Berry 1797 33 Unknown
- 3.Robert Berry 1798 32 Unknown
- 3.William Berry 1894 26 Fayette Co. Ala married
- 4.John H. Berry 1827 3 Fayette County Alabama.
- 2.Joshua Berry 1766 64 Orange Co. NC married
- 3.Robert Berry 1798 32 Person Co. NC married
- 3.James Berry 1799 31 Smith Co. Tenn. married
- 3 Joshua Berry Jr. 1801 29 Gallia Co. Ohio married
- 4.Harrison Berry 1824 6 Gallia Co. Ohio
- 4.Lewis E. Berry 1826 4 Gallia Co. Ohio
- 4.Robert Berry 1828 2 Gallia Co. Ohio
- 3.Lewis Berry 1805 25 Orange Co.NC. married
- 3.Eli Berry 1821 9 Orange Co.NC.
- 2.Isaac Berry 1768 68 Orange Co.NC. single
- 2.Thomas Berry 1772 Dead
- 3.David ll Berry 1801 29 Wayne Co Tenn. married
- 2.David J. Berry 1774 56 Fayette Ga. married
- 3.Henry Berry 1809 22 Georgia
- 3.George M. Berry 1810 Dead
- 3.Robert Berry 1812 18 Georgia
- 3.William G. Berry 1813 17 Georgia
- 3.Thomas Berry 1820 10 Fayette Co. Georgia
- 3.Joshua Berry 1824 6 Fayette Co. Georgia
- 2.William Berry 1775 55 Blount Co. Alabama
- 3.William Clarence Berry 1803 27 Orange Co.NC. married
- 4.George Rufus Berry 1829 1 Orange Co.NC.
- 3.Robert C. Berry 1805 25 Orange Co.NC. single
- 3.Thomas Person Berry 1808 22 Orange Co.NC. single
- 2.Henry Berry 1776 54 Orange Co.NC. single
William and Hannah Cate Berrys
KNOWN WILLIAM BERRY DESCANDANTS
- William Clarence Berry was born Orange County NC on October 17 1803 and died in Burnett County Texas on Sept 8 1878.
- Robert C Berry was born in Orange County NC on April 14 1805 and died in Berry, Fayette County Alabama on March 13 1883.
- Thomas Person Berry was born in Orange County NC on June 01 1808 and died in Orange County NC on April 30 1884.
William and his brother Thomas Berry went to Tennessee in search of land sometime after November 1807 when he got his wife Hannah pregnant. William never lived with Hannah Cate Berry after that. Hannah listed in the 1810 Orange county census as Head of Household. This census list 4 Males under 10. They are William Clarence Berry, Robert C Berry, Thomas Person Berry, and Thomas and Sarah Cate Berry’s son David ll Berry. The one female under 10 is Thomas and Sarah Cate Berry’s daughter Eleanor Berry. The 2 females 30 -40 are Hannah Cate Berry and her sister Sarah Cate Berry. I The two sisters and their children next to their Father in Law, Robert and Elizabeth Cate Berry in the old Patrick Rutherford house .
William Berry Sen is found in Blount County Alabama in 1830 with another wife and 2 children. He was living two farms away from Thomas Rutherford in the census below. Thomas Rutherford was one of the three brothers who signed the Patrick Rutherford deed to Robert Berry on March 2 1787. (Orange County Deed Book 4 page 518). Note that Thomas Rutherford and William Berry were both listed in the 40 -50 age group. These two boys grew up together because the Patrick Rutherford property joined Robert Berry’s property on his southern property line.William Rutherford and James Rutherford were the other two brothers who signed the Deed. The fact that Thomas Rutherford and William Berry knew each other in Orange County NC and were living so close to each other in Alabama supports that William Berry is my GGG-Grandfather who was married to Hannah Cate.
Shown below is the 1850 Lincoln County Census of Benjamin H Berry, born in North Carolina and his father, William Berry who was born in North Carolina. His mother, Mary was also living with him. His mother. Mary was listed was also born in NC. Benjamin H Berry would also be a candidate to have sired Robert T Berry.
Benjamin H Berry was listed in the 1830 Alabama census in the 20 to 30 bracket and he was 44 in his 1850 census.
Thomas Berry’s widow, Sarah Cate Berry Pigg was living in Wayne County Tennessee and there is only one county separating Wayne county and Lincoln County. William having been with Thomas would have been very familiar with this part of Tennessee. In the 1830 Alabama census William was living close to Thomas Rutherford. The fact that William was born in North Carolina is more support for me to believe William is really my 3 great grandfather. who deserted Hannah Cate Berry in Orange County NC.
There are four conditions are several possibilities that must be determined by the process of elimination.
- That none of known William Berry descendants are the father of Robert Berry shown in Robert Roberson 1850 Census above.
- That none of known William Berry descendants are the father of Robert T Berry born in 1859.
- That a transit Robert Berry is not the father of Robert T Berry which is almost impossible to locate.
- That Robert Berry in the Robert Roberson 1850 Census is a descendant or the brother of Robert Berry in Orange County NC, Richard Berry, in Princess Anne County VA. Robert Berry in Orange County NC is our William Berrys father.
William Clarence Berry married Sally Bowles on November 20 1826 in Orange County North Carolina and they had one son, George Rufus Berry born on February 29 1829. This eliminates these two of William & Hannah Cate Berry’s descendants from being the father of Robert Berry shown in Robert Roberson 1850 Census above. When Thomas Person & William Clarence Berry sold their 100 acres they had bought from Uncle Henry Berry on September 1883 to Felix & Samuel Wilson (Orange County Deed Book 25 page 431), Robert C Berry was a witness on that deed. This proves that all three of William and Hannah Cate Berry’s children could not be the father of Robert Berry shown in Robert Roberson 1850 Census above. Thomas and Sarah Cate Berrys son, David ll Berry was born in Orange County in 1802 was living in Orange County and listed in Hannah Cate Berry’s 1810 census could not be the father of Robert Berry shown in Robert Roberson 1850 Census above. The only other William Berry descendant left that could have been the father of Robert Berry shown in Robert Roberson 1850 Census above was Benjamin H Berry, age 44, who was Living in Lincoln County Tennessee with his wife, his father,William Berry, his mother and children in 1850. This should eliminate all of William & Hannah Cate Berry’s descendants.
The only William & Hannah Cate Berry named Robert was Robert C Berry who was 45 years old and married to Sarah Chapell in 1850. They had three children and were living in Berry, Fayette County, Alabama. If Robert Berry Shown in the 1850 census of Robert Roberson shown above is the father of Robert T Berry then none of William & Hannah Cate Berry’s descendants could be the father of Robert T. Berry
William Berry had 5 brothers with Male Descendants. It is entirely passable that Robert Berry Shown in the 1850 census of Robert Roberson shown above could be one of their descendants. While William Berry YDNA was tested for 67 markers most of the YDNA from his five Brothers were only tested for 37 Markers.
- William Berry’s 37 marker YDNA only differs from the unidentified Robert Berry Shown in the 1850 census of Robert Roberson shown above by 1 mutation
- Robert Berry Jr 37 marker YDNA would differ by 2 mutations
- Isaac Berry only had 1 daughter
- Joshua Berrys 37 marker YDNA would differ by 3 & 4 mutations
- Thomas Berry 37 marker YDNA would differ by 2, 3 & 4 mutations
- David J Berrys 37 marker YDNA would differ by 2 & 3 mutations
- William Berry 37 marker used as reference with 0 mutations
- Henry Berry only had 1 daughter
Since we have no known YDNA from Richard Berry who was born in Princes Anne County Virginia and no positive paper trail to him either we can only speculate that Robert T. Berry may be a descendant of Richard Berry. Richard Berry was Robert Berry’s older Brother. The two brothers would have YDNA that would closely match Robert & Elizabeth Cate Berry’s eight sons. It is possible that the Unknown Berry with 66 out of 67 matching markers to the William Berry line may be Richard Berry’s descendant.